Friday, February 26, 2021

Mixed Media: Laundry Days

 My dear friend, Shandy Davis, encouraged me to join her taking an on-line course in mixed media. 

The course is by mixed media artist Jennifer Chamberlin at https://www.themakerbeehive.com/.  She does the project in several lessons that are well explained and all about having fun.  Her classes are quite affordable.

 As this is my first attempt at this technique I learned much and see where I would make changes on the next project.  

My completed project: 



This was built on a number of steps.  First one is to glue down images that tell a story.

Next step is to cover with white gesso.  After that dries the project is cut down to the size of the backing.  Then one dabs on paint color randomly, and use a stencil to add texture.  Then use a rubber stamp to add more interest.


Dresses were made from scraps of designer series paper, trims, washi tape, and whatever strikes one's fancy.  Bakers twine was used to create the clothes line.  The "clothes pins" are marks with a brown marker.  Edges are distressed for interest.  

It was a fun project and I can see variations to use for future projects.











3 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

What a warm, nicely written post, Anne! Knowing about the secret fabric room in your home, I imagine the story in your pretty, multilayered background is one with your mom and past sewing days! How cool! The dark distressing around your dresses helps make the dimension even more noticeable! How fun this is! And how fun to take the class with your friend! Hugs, de

AnaRaposo@ToadilyHandmade said...

Sounds interesting this multimedia project, especially when it’s also done with a friend.
A+ Anne.

KT Fit Kitty said...

This looks amazing, Anne! I sometimes watch mixed media videos on YouTube, and one of these days I'm going to try it as I find this technique(s) intriguing. I like the pictures you chose to start with and it would have been hard for me to cover them with gesso, but that's part of the process. What a wonderful outcome! I love it! And it must have been fun to take the online course with your friend. I also want to thank you for your kind words of sympathy on my blog on the loss of our Snowie; they were much appreciated.